Letter: Densification needs sufficient green space

To make the policy work, councillors, keep and even expand Skaha Lake Park.

F.M. Bradley (Penticton Western News, letters to the editor, Sept. 28) has it right. We actually need more green space.

One policy our city council espouses correctly is densification.  Penticton doesn’t have an infinity of land available for residential development. If it wasn’t for the forward-thinking leadership of Penticton Indian Band Chief Kruger there would already be a severe single family housing crunch. Council’s promotion of densification is wise and crucial to our on-going residential needs.  More young families can access good living space through purchases of affordable townhouses located in tight clusters. Retired and semi-retired couples who travel frequently often prefer condos (either in towers or low-rise blocks).

To make this a dynamic and livable concept in a climate like ours, people need outdoor space. To ensure sufficient access there needs to be parks — the more townhouses and condos, the more parks. These parks are, in essence, the backyards for residents of such facilities.

Recently a respected local developer has began building, in addition to a large townhouse complex, three high-rise towers near Skaha Lake. There already exist other condos in the area and council has authorized more infill with multiple family dwellings.  They all require access to park space — areas for kids’ play, walking pets, outside space for simple relaxing, seasonal access for swimming, paddle-boarding and wind-surfing. Thus the need for all the current green space at Skaha Lake Park and in the years ahead probably even more.

Densification is good, but it only works if there is sufficient green space nearby to make it all livable.

To make the policy work, councillors, keep and even expand Skaha Lake Park.

Glenn Sinclair



We are experiencing technical difficulties with our commenting platform and hope to be up and running again soon. In the meantime, you can still send us your thoughts on Facebook or Twitter, or submit a letter to the editor.