LETTERS: Will history repeat itself?

Approximately 11 years ago, a consortium of developers wanted to build a cabana at Skaha Park.

Approximately 11 years ago, a consortium of developers wanted to build a cabana at Skaha Park.

The outcry was so huge against the loss of public park land that special meeting was held at the Penticton Trade and Convention Centre. Over 300 people attended, standing room only. The mayor of the day, David Perry and council cut the project. They listened to the  citizens of Penticton because they respected the democratic voice.

Now, here we are again and yet another consortium wishes to develop Skaha Park. They want to build a waterslide, take a quarter of our public park and erect a chain link fence and if you cannot pay you cannot get in.

In the late 1990s, Skaha Park was rezoned and the city has been prudently and progressively, purchasing the houses on Elm Avenue. My mother lived on Elm for over 32 years, her house was expropriated by the city and she was assured that one day her property would be part of the park land in perpetuity. By the time the city purchases the fourth house on Elm they will have spent close to $4 million to accumulate more park land — wonderful — only to lease it to a developer for a few months of the year — ludicrous.

Remember the park has been paid for by our tax dollars and belongs to everyone. If we allow 25 per cent of Skaha Park to be turned into a for-profit venture, it will be gone forever. The detrimental impact to the remaining 75 per cent will decimate the unique ambiance and beauty of the park and we will never see it again as it stands today.

I wish to respectfully remind mayor and council that under the community charter, section 7 municipal purposes, the  purposes of a municipality include providing for good government of its community, providing services, laws and other matters for community benefit, providing for stewardship of the public assets of its community and fostering the economic, social and environmental well being of its community.

Referendum or recall?

Carolae Donoghue

Penticton

 

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Missing toddler found safe near Beaverdell

The child had been missing in the Clark Lake area for more than two hours

Penticton mail carriers ask dog owners to keep pets secured

Loose dogs have put mail carriers in danger and made physical distancing difficult

Penticton restaurant ranked among world’s best by TripAdvisor

The Hooded Merganser was ranked within the top 10 per cent of all restaurants by TripAdvisor reviews

Highway 97 upgrade option for Peachland faces 20-year delay

Peachland council disappointed by highways department decision

Penticton Museum and Archives prepares to reopen

Current exhibit explores the historical relationship between sports and military

Video: SUV burns alongside the highway near Salmon Arm

Footage of the burning vehicle was posted to Youtube.

Horvat scores 2 as Vancouver Canucks beat Blues 5-2 in NHL playoff opener

Game 2 in best-of-seven series goes Friday night

Federal Conservative leadership candidate skirts COVID-19 rules at Kelowna rally

Derek Sloan held a rally in Kelowna that had more than 50 people, which is against health orders from the province

Teachers to get 2 extra days to prepare for students’ return, now set for Sept. 10

Students will first start with orientation and learn rules of COVID-19 classroom policies

High-volume littering at Cape Scott draws ire from hiking groups

Popular Vancouver Island hiking spot not closing, but frustration about crowding grows

SFU to drop ‘Clan’ varsity team name

The ‘Clan’ name is shortened from ‘Clansmen,’ and was introduced roughly 55 years ago

New Tory leader must build a strong team in Commons and for the campaign: Scheer

Scheer marked his final day in the House of Commons today as leader of the Opposition

Kelowna Hells Angels prospect charged with assault, choking

Jason Townsend, 43, was charged after allegedly choking a woman last weekend

Wedding party bear sprayed at North Okanagan campsite

Latest criminal activity at the Meadows leaves locals frustrated

Most Read