Mustangs win Okanagan Valley championship

Mustangs net AA Okanagan Valley soccer title against Kalamalka

ALEX CARTER (right) of the Kalamalka Lakers tussles with Jessie Olfert of the Princess Margaret Mustangs of Penticton in the Okanagan Valley Senior AA Girls Soccer Championships Wednesday at Marshall Field in Vernon.

A 3-2 victory over the Kalamalka Lakers clinched the AA Okanagan Valley championship for the Princess Margaret Mustangs senior girls soccer team.

The Mustangs were rewarded after a hard-fought win in Vernon.

“These girls play their hearts out, have high skills and are very coachable, all while being multi-sport athletes,” said coach John Buckley.

The Mustangs, who are also South Zone champs, opened the valley’s with a loss to the Fulton Lady Maroons in penalty kicks. Buckley said his players dominated possession and created several good scoring chances. They bounced back in the second game, defeating Seaton Secondary Sonics from Vernon 4-0. Nicole Mann led with three goals, while Ardessa Alleyn added the fourth. Jessie Olfert, Taylor Corrie, Jasper Pankratz and Shayla Hearne performed strong in the midfield building the attack.  Jessica Castle and Gillian Kennedy used their speed on the wing, while Lexi Grady and Jordan Broe’s strong work ethic in tackling established possession.

The third game was against Kamloops’ Sahali Sabres, a veteran squad. The Mustangs built a solid 3-0 lead with great passing and fast attacks. Mann tallied a pair of goals while Corrie scored the third.  The Sabres scored a late marker for a 3-1 final. Playing strong defence for the Mustangs were  McKenzie Ricard, Deb Rose, Kari-Grace Pym, Sydney McKinlay and Riley McKinlay. Caitlyn Spooner played her best game in goal on the championship day.

The Mustangs, who won 15 of 17 games this season, will travel to Courtenay for provincials May 29 to June 1.

“Princess Margaret’s athletic program is on a roll as it has captured three valley championships, two seconds and three third places in volleyball, basketball, tennis and soccer,” said Buckley. “This is the seventh Mustang squad to qualify for provincials over two school years in a school loaded with athletes and strong coaches.”

 

 

Just Posted

Nature Trust of B.C. purchases property in South Okanagan

Parcel will be added to White Lake biodiversity ranch

Popular Similkameen winery grows

Corcelettes winery outside Keremeos has bought more land and is expanding

Update: Warrant issued for Penticton man facing manslaughter charges

Sylvain Modeste Demers is wanted on a warrant

Debt retired on SOEC construction cost

A decade after it opened, loans for constructing the South Okanagan Events Centre have been paid

Water samples good, Hedley awaits drinking water A-OK

Water woes in Hedley had some residents questioning the communication plan of the HID earlier this week

Omar Khadr wants changes to bail conditions

‘My life is held in suspension’, says the former Guantanamo Bay detainee

Lions announce seven members of coaching staff not coming back for 2019

The operational moves come two days after the Lions announced DeVone Claybrooks as the team’s new head coach

Missing man last seen in Shuswap

Red Deer RCMP would like public’s help locating elderly man with dementia last observed in Sicamous

Scholarship smooths road ahead for Okanagan College transfer student

27 students from Okanagan College received awards from the Irving K. Barber Society

$12K awarded to atheist family who oppose Christmas, Hanukkah in B.C. classroom

Gary Mangel,May Yasue said holidays, Remembrance Day and Valentine’s Day not appropriate in preschool

Aboriginal poet faces backlash for calling out NHL-themed totem poles

Rebecca Thomas says she received backlash for asking a drugstore chain to remove NHL merchandise

No plans yet for free WiFi on BC Transit buses

BC Transit says they are monitoring the roll-out of free WiFi on Translink vehicles

Some Kotex tampons recalled in Canada and U.S.

In some cases, tampon users sought medical attention “to remove tampon pieces left in the body.”

Sex-assault squad investigated eight incidents at Toronto all-boys’ school

The interim president of a Roman Catholic all-boys school rocked by student-on-student abuse allegations said the football program was cancelled for next year.

Most Read