Call to fire department ends well

A Penticton resident did the right thing by calling 9-1-1 and leaving their home after a small kitchen fire on Wednesday.

A Penticton resident did the right thing by calling 9-1-1 and leaving their home after a small kitchen fire on Wednesday.

Deputy Fire Chief Dave Spalding said they responded to a fire at an Acacia Avenue residence at  4 p.m. that turned out to be inside an oven.

The fire, he said, must have been from some overheated food or grease that had splashed over and was contained and there was no damage to the house.

“The homeowners noticed they had a problem, phoned 9-1-1 and exited the building, which is what they are supposed to do,” said Spalding.

“When it is inside an oven the fire is contained in a vault because it is air tight and nothing will do much inside an oven and if it does it will use up all the oxygen pretty quick and die down.”

Spalding said it is important to have an extinguisher nearby a kitchen in event of a fire on a stove top.

“If it is on top then you could use your extinguisher” said Spalding.

“Or, if there is a grease fire on top you can use a pot lid to snuff it out. Things like that are always good for people to try but of course if the fire seems to not die down you have to get out.

“Everyone should have an extinguisher close to their kitchen, in between the kitchen and exit door so that you can get it, and if you can’t get the fire out, your exit door is close and the fire isn’t between you and your way out.”