Call to fire department ends well

A Penticton resident did the right thing by calling 9-1-1 and leaving their home after a small kitchen fire on Wednesday.

A Penticton resident did the right thing by calling 9-1-1 and leaving their home after a small kitchen fire on Wednesday.

Deputy Fire Chief Dave Spalding said they responded to a fire at an Acacia Avenue residence at  4 p.m. that turned out to be inside an oven.

The fire, he said, must have been from some overheated food or grease that had splashed over and was contained and there was no damage to the house.

“The homeowners noticed they had a problem, phoned 9-1-1 and exited the building, which is what they are supposed to do,” said Spalding.

“When it is inside an oven the fire is contained in a vault because it is air tight and nothing will do much inside an oven and if it does it will use up all the oxygen pretty quick and die down.”

Spalding said it is important to have an extinguisher nearby a kitchen in event of a fire on a stove top.

“If it is on top then you could use your extinguisher” said Spalding.

“Or, if there is a grease fire on top you can use a pot lid to snuff it out. Things like that are always good for people to try but of course if the fire seems to not die down you have to get out.

“Everyone should have an extinguisher close to their kitchen, in between the kitchen and exit door so that you can get it, and if you can’t get the fire out, your exit door is close and the fire isn’t between you and your way out.”

Just Posted

Access Goes Disco raises $5,000 for Access Centre

The Valentine’s Day event at the Barking Parrot was a resounding success

Contaminations not uncommon at Penticton pool

The Penticton Community Centre pool deals with “a handful” of minor contaminations each month

Oliver firefighters respond to emergency call for their own member

Firefighters found out who the call was for when they arrived on the scene

Highway 97 rock slide north of Summerland beginning to stabilize

Costs of road work so far estimated at between $300,000 and $350,000

UPDATE: One person taken to hospital after fully involved shed fire

The person is believed to have been inside or near the shed that caught fire behind Doc’s driving range

VIDEO: Canada’s flag turns 54 today

The maple leaf design by George Stanley made its first appearance Feb. 15, 1965

Expect delays on Highway 1 west of Golden due to vehicle fire

Expect delays while driving Highway 1 between Golden and Revelstoke. Drive BC… Continue reading

Eight cases of measles confirmed in Vancouver outbreak

Coastal Health official say the cases stem from the French-language Ecole Jules Verne Secondary

Semi loses control on Highway 97A in Shuswap

Slippery roads contribute to crash of transport truck carrying tires

Plecas won’t run in next election if B.C. legislature oversight reforms pass

B.C. Speaker and Abbotsford South MLA says he feels ‘great sympathy’ for Jody Wilson-Raybould

Infighting at Kelowna Yacht Club makes it to court

Marc Whittemore, a local lawyer and prominent member of the club, filed a notice of civil claim Feb. 1

Workshop with ‘accent reduction’ training cancelled at UBC

The workshop was cancelled the same day as an email was sent out to international students

Former B.C. premier Gordon Campbell accused of sexual touching

Accuser went to police, interviewed by Britian’s Daily Telegraph

Most Read