This unknown pink powdery substance was ingested by a student at an A.S. Matheson Elementary School classroom on Wednesday. (Contributed)

Kelowna classroom where child allegedly overdosed re-opens after cleaning

An 8-year-old was unresponsive and unable to walk after ingesting an unknown substance at school.

The classroom that saw an 8-year-old child ingest a dangerous amount of an unknown substance is now clean, according to the school district.

“Staff thoroughly cleaned the classroom and District Occupational Health and Safety Officials inspected the space,” says Central Okanagan Superintendent of Schools Kevin Kaardal in a press release.

Kelowna resident Jeremy Mills says his young son was unresponsive and unable to walk after ingesting an unknown pink powdery substance in his A.S. Matheson Elementary School classroom Wednesday. Mills’ child was rushed to the hospital. All tests came back negative and a chemical evaluation on the substance is currently being conducted.

ALSO READ: Unsecured wheelbarrow causes motorcycle crash in West Kelowna

While testing on the child did not show any indication of a drug overdose, Kaardal says the child showed signs of being intoxicated.

The School District has also sent out a letter cautioning parents about the potential dangers of a child ingesting unknown substances.

“We are grateful for the close support of the RCMP and the attending pediatrician as they share information with us so we can fully understand this incident,” says Kaardal.

“While educators teach an abundance of caution to children, including not sharing lunches or medications, we want to remind parents to have these discussions as well.”


@Niftymittens14
daniel.taylor@kelownacapnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

I’m Just Saying: Time for climate change deniers to wake up

Jordyn Thomson is a reporter with the Western News

NDP leader Jagmeet Singh returns to Penticton Oct. 19

He is hosting a rally to boost local NDP candidate Richard Cannings’ campaign efforts

Cannabis edibles, extracts legalized today in Canada

You can now legally purchase weed brownies!

South Okanagan man honoured with lifetime achievement award

The late Nick Bevanda to receive a lifetime achievement award for his architecture work

Election 2019: Helena Konanz – Conservative Party candidate for South Okanagan – West Kootenay

Helena Konanz is running for the Conservative Party in the South Okanagan – West Kootenay riding

Scheer, Trudeau, Singh haggle over potential minority government outcome

If you believe the polls, it appears the Liberals and Conservatives are neck-and-neck

Okanagan College nursing students to make history in Thailand

Students to take on Vernon-born practicum overseas

British family deported after ‘accidental’ U.S. border crossing

U.S. officials deny it was mistake, release video of vehicle crossing into Washington from Langley

LETTERS: Wolf kills, wilderness protection and caribou recovery

Readers respond to Tom Fletcher’s column on B.C. program

Kamloops man hangs on to back of stolen truck as suspect speeds away, crashes

The pickup truck was seen leaving the roadway before bursting into flames

Everything you need to know before getting the flu shot

Island pharmacist shares concerns, recommendations before flu season hits

Interior Health approves reopening of Shuswap elementary school

Sicamous facility, closed since Sept. 20 due to health concerns, to be back in operation on Nov. 13

Viral video sensation brings skills to Okanagan

Jacob Moon joins Hear the Music for concert and workshop

Most Read