David Ernest Friesen, 66, delivered his testimony in Penticton court on March 13. Friesen is facing two charges of breaching probation, two charges of exposing himself to a person under 16 and one count of indecent act in a public place. Western News file photo

David Ernest Friesen, 66, delivered his testimony in Penticton court on March 13. Friesen is facing two charges of breaching probation, two charges of exposing himself to a person under 16 and one count of indecent act in a public place. Western News file photo

Alleged Penticton flasher admits to breach, denies exposing genitals to children

David Ernest Friesen’s trial is expected to conclude Thursday at Penticton court

A Penticton man who allegedly exposed his genitals to children at a park said he only stopped at a playground, which violated his probation, to have a fun time with kids and adults.

“When I got to the park and parked my car, I said to myself, ‘This is a breach, but it also looks like fun with the kids and the adults.’”

That was 66-year-old David Ernest Friesen’s testimony during the second-day of his trial Wednesday in Penticton court when asked about allegedly breaching probation on Oct. 14, 2018, and entering the Kiwanis Park Playground in Penticton on Edmonton Avenue.

Friesen is facing two counts of breach of probation, two counts of exposing genitals to persons under 16 and one count of committing an indecent act in a public place.

Related: Update: Trial begins for Penticton man who allegedly exposed genitals to youth

Friesen was previously convicted of exposing his genitals to two children in 2017 and was under probation when he testified that he entered the playground on Oct. 14, 2018 to “have fun” and “enjoy his afternoon.”

Conditions of his probation stipulate that he is not to have contact with minors under the age of 16 and that he not attend beaches, public parks, community centres or any other place a person under 16 could reasonably be unless he was with an adult who was made aware of his probation order and previous criminal history.

The Penticton court heard further testimony from Friesen Wednesday regarding his past criminal record and the accounts of that day, where he is alleged to have exposed himself to an eight and 13-year-old. During his testimony, Friesen admitted to knowingly breaching his probation order but denied exposing himself to the children.

“I know it was something I shouldn’t have done. It was just a moment of weakness, I decided I wanted to go out and enjoy the afternoon,” said Friesen in response to why he chose to drive to and enter the park that day following his church service.

“What exactly is fun for a 66-year-old man playing with children that he doesn’t know?” asked Crown counsel Nashina Devji.

“I had fun playing tag with them … and they did too.”

Contrary to the testimony given on March 12 by the 13-year-0ld involved in the incident, Friesen said he was playing with the boy and his younger sister once the other families had left the park. He described playing tag and other games using the playground equipment with the children when they suddenly decided to leave.

According to the teen’s testimony, he was not aware that Friesen was playing with him and his sister and only noticed the man when he heard him call out to come over to him. The teen said when he looked over, the man had his pants pulled halfway down his thighs and he could see his “private parts.” The boy said he immediately went over to his sister and took her home and that he did not believe his sister saw the man exposed.

When questioned by his defence lawyer, James Pennington, if he exposed himself to the children, Friesen said no and reasoned that if he had, both children would have seen, not just the boy.

“If I had exposed myself to (the boy), then I would have also exposed myself to (the girl). Because if it happened to (the one), it had to happen to (the other),” said Friesen.

Friesen testified that he and the children were using a digging tool provided at the park when the kids got up and left. The teen had testified that he was on the monkey bars and his sister was on the slide when Friesen allegedly exposed his genitals to the children, causing them to leave.

Due to the contradiction of testimonies, Pennington delivered his closing statement urging Judge Gregory Koturbash to not consider the teen’s testimony as reliable in relation to Friesen’s charges of exposing his genitals to a person under 16. He also reasoned that because the teen could not recall certain details about the incident, he may be wrong or incorrect in other parts of his testimony.

Related: Update: Penticton man who allegedly exposed genitals makes court appearance

“(The boy) is adamant that he saw Mr. Friesen with his pants down and exposed, that’s what he said and, we can only assume at this point, that’s what he believes,” said Pennington. “I suggest that he is mistaken … If he is mistaken about playing tag with this gentleman, he could be mistaken in other aspects of this evidence as well.”

Devji said the teen was honest during his testimony about details he was unsure of, but was very clear about what he alleges he saw Friesen do.

“(The teen) was on the stand for quite a long time, and (at) 13 years old I submit that he was a particularly good witness,” said Devji. “He was able to provide to the police a clear description of the man at the park, including age, clothing, facial features. He even managed to pick this man out of a photo lineup, where (Friesen’s photo) was placed among 10 or so other people that had similar appearances.

“He said he was absolutely certain of what he saw. It is fairly rare for a young child to see a grown man with his penis exposed at a park. It’s something that would stick out and be immediately noticeable,” said Devji. “That’s something the boy saw, and he also saw it on a man that he didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to but observed well enough to identity in a photo line up.”

A decision on these charges will be given on March 14 at the Penticton Court House at 9:30 a.m.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Penticton mayor John Vassilaki responded to BC Housing minster David Eby’s remarks that the city has put themselves at risk of creating a tent city Wednesday, March 3, 2020. (Western News file photo)
Penticton mayor calls out BC Housing minister for ‘irresponsible fear-mongering’

Council recently rejected BC Housing’s request to keep a winter shelter open longer than first planned

Robert Emms spotted these beauties in a waterway in downtown Penticton. (Robert Emms)
Trumpeter swans visit downtown Penticton

The beautiful birds are regulars near the shores of Okanagan Lake on Highway 97

Ecologist and writer Don Gayton wraps up the Penticton Arts Council’s March events. (Submitted)
Penticton Arts Council unveils March’s programs

Making your own comics and short stories highlight March events

After 20 years in the community, Pathways Addiction Recovery Centre has had its funding cut by Interior Health, who says they are bringing addictions services in-house now. (Facebook)
Community outraged at Interior Health’s decision to cut funding to Penticton addiction services centre

People question why Pathways addiction services would be cut during an overdose epidemic

Although B.C. has not made masks mandatory in public indoor spaces, some business owners are requiring all customers to wear them before entering their store. (Ashley Wadhwani/Black Press Media)
EDITORIAL: Heightened tension over face masks

Incidents of anger and conflicts over mandated masks happening too frequently

Health Minister Adrian Dix looks on as Dr. Bonnie Henry pauses for a moment as she gives her daily media briefing regarding COVID-19 for British Columbia in Victoria, B.C. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
7 additional deaths and 542 new COVID-19 cases in B.C.

Provincial health officials reported 18 new COVID-19 cases linked to variants of concern

John Hordyk said it isn’t fair to just look at COVID-19 deaths as many survivors are experiencing long-term impacts, himself included. (Photo by Rachel Muise)
Not getting better: Revelstoke man diagnosed with post-COVID-19 syndrome

‘I hope the damage isn’t long term, but it could be permanent’

The City of Vancouver estimates there are 3,500 Canada geese in the city right now, and that number is growing. (Bruce Hogarth)
Help tame Vancouver’s Canada goose population by reporting nests: park officials

The city is asking residents to be on the lookout so staff can remove nests or addle eggs

Chief Justice Christopher Hinkson (Office of the Chief Justice)
Judge questions whether B.C.’s top doctor appreciated right to religious freedom

Lawyer for province says Dr. Henry has outlined the reasons for her orders publicly

A sample of guns seized at the Pacific Highway border crossing from the U.S. into B.C. in 2014. Guns smuggled from the U.S. are used in criminal activity, often associated with drug gangs. (Canada Border Service Agency)
B.C. moves to seize vehicles transporting illegal firearms

Bill bans sale of imitation or BB guns to young people

A recently published study out of UBC has found a link between life satisfaction levels and overall health. (Pixabay)
Satisfied with life? It’s likely you’re healthier for it: UBC study

UBC psychologists have found those more satisfied with their life have a 26% reduced risk of dying

A vial of some of the first 500,000 of the two million AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine doses that Canada has secured through a deal with the Serum Institute of India in partnership with Verity Pharma at a facility in Milton, Ont., on Wednesday, March 3, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Carlos Osorio - POOL
Federal panel recommends 4-month gap between COVID vaccine doses due to limited supply

The recommendation applies to all COVID-19 vaccines currently approved in Canada

A vial of Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine is pictured at a family doctor office, Thursday, Feb. 25, 2021 in Paris. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP -Christophe Ena
Trudeau ‘optimistic’ that timeline for rollout of COVID vaccines can be accelerated

Canada set to receive more than 6M COVID-19 vaccine dose than initially expected, by end of March

The restart of the program means seniors can receive affordable meals delivered five days a week Photo by Scott Suchman for The Washington Post.
Princeton Meals on Wheels one year trial will cost $92k

Program restarts, and volunteer drivers are needed

Most Read