Jonathan Bacon was fatally shot in Kelowna in August 2011.

Bacon shooting trial underway

An application to dismiss charges in the Bacon trial is still pending, but the trial began anyway

The trial for the three men accused of killing Lower Mainland gangster Jonathan Bacon got underway Monday.

Jujhar Khun-Khun, Jason McBride and Michael Jones appeared in court and each pleaded “not guilty” to the long list of charges relating to the 2011 gangland slaying in Kelowna.

Each face one charge of murder, four counts of attempted murder and numerous gun charges.

The trial proceeded despite an application still pending to have all the charges against the three men thrown out.

Justice Allan Betton noted that he has not finalized his decision on the application yet and that he intends to deliver that decision at the beginning of next week.

Despite this pending application, evidence will be heard in court this week.

The application process to have charges dropped against Khun-Khun, McBride and Jones is based on the Supreme Court of Canada’s ruling in R. v. Jordan, which set out a new framework for analyzing a violation of the Charter.

To get the matter to trial was above the 30-month threshold established in the Jordan case for trials in Superior Court, which means the Crown will be required to show exceptional circumstances to rebut the presumption that the delay was unreasonable.

Bacon, a Red Scorpion gang member, was shot to death outside the Delta Grand Hotel on Aug. 14, 2011. In his vehicle during the attack were Larry Amero, a Hells Angel, James Riach, of the Independent Soldiers, and two women. One of the women, Leah Hadden-Watts , was paralyzed in the incident. Lindsay Black sustained multiple gunshot wounds.

The trio were arrested in 2013.

 

Just Posted

Penticton filmmaker to screen ice-climbing documentary at Hoodoo

Dave Mai debuted his ice climbing film in Vancouver last week

Smoke sparks evacuation at Penticton apartments

Fire crews were called to 88 Duncan Ave just after 6:30 p.m., Tuesday

Penticton Lakers junior girls headed to basketball provincials

The Penticton Lakers won the Valley Championship for the first time since 2005

Discovery House serves up soup for the soul

Annual Discovery House Lent Soup fundraiser in Penticton

Numbers aren’t reflecting homeless situation in Penticton

Even with an annual survey, it’s hard to pin down the number of homeless on the streets of Penticton

Video: KVR students explore Métis culture and history

KVR Middle School immerses students in Métis culture

How to keep local news visible in your Facebook feed

Facebook has changed the news feed to emphasize personal connections. You might see less news.

Canucks blow three goal lead, lose to Avalanche in overtime

Vancouver struggled on the penalty kill, as Colorado scored all five goals on the powerplay

Letter: BC forest practices need to change

Letter writer says forestry is in need of an overhaul

Smoke sparks evacuation at Penticton apartments

Fire crews were called to 88 Duncan Ave just after 6:30 p.m., Tuesday

Widow of avalanche victim sues Golden lodge operator

A woman from Alberta is suing guides, their mountain guide association and the lodge operator for negligence

BC BUDGET: NDP hope to nix court delays with $15 million cash influx

Union says funding could stop sheriffs from leaving for higher paid jobs

Thompson, Chilcotin Steelhead Trout in danger of extinction

‘Once it’s gone, it’s not coming back’ says longtime Steelhead advocate Steve Rice.

Most Read