Boonstock cuffed for over-budget RCMP bill

Boonstock’s boss says he wants to see an itemized bill before paying the tab for policing costs associated with the music festival.

Boonstock’s boss says he wants to see an itemized bill before paying the tab for policing costs associated with the music festival.

“We are in the process of requesting a resources breakdown of the RCMP services provided to Boonstock Productions Inc., including receipts and additional details of costs incurred,” president Colin Kobza said in a press release Wednesday.

Mounties have called on the festival to reimburse the B.C. government $250,000 it claims it cost to police the August long weekend event, although the invoice sent to Boonstock by the province totalled just $176,901.10.

That $75,000 discrepancy is due to the 70-30 split of RCMP costs between the provincial and federal governments, the B.C. Justice Ministry said in a statement that it refused to attribute to anyone by name.

The $176,901 is the provincial government’s 70 per cent share of costs, the statement explained, and it will be up to the federal government to bill for the remaining 30 per cent.

“Salaries represented 76 per cent of the policing costs for the event. The remaining 24 per cent was for accommodations, transportation, meals and incidentals, and other costs,” said the statement, which noted Mounties were brought in from outside the city to work at the event.

“It’s too early to speculate on what actions may be undertaken if the invoice is not paid,” the statement continued, “but the province remains hopeful the promoters see the need to ensure B.C.’s taxpayers don’t pay the bill for their commercial enterprise.”

Kobza, who agreed to an email by interview but then never responded to questions by deadline, noted in his press release his company has a nine-year track record of paying back police following events at its former home in Alberta.

Penticton RCMP Supt. Kevin Hewco said in a separate press release Wednesday the cost to police the first ever Boonstock here spiralled upwards when Mounties identified “gaps” in private on-site security and called in additional officers to compensate. Hewco didn’t return a call for comment and his voicemail message indicates he’s on leave until Sept. 15.

“The planning of any major event plays a significant role in its success and safety,” Hewco stated in the release, which said Boonstock generated 150 police files that saw 38 people lodged in city cells.

“From our view, I cannot label this event as a success, especially considering the fact that a young woman died.”

Penticton Mayor Garry Litke said the issues raised by Hewco reflect poorly on the city.

“That was my concern from the very beginning that (Boonstock) was going to give Penticton a black eye, notwithstanding the fact that some businesses say they had a banner sales weekend,” said Litke, adding he’s worried the event will discourage families from visiting the area.

The 23-year-old Alberta woman who died at Boonstock from a suspected drug overdose was one of 90 people transferred from the site to Penticton Regional Hospital for treatment, according to figures previously released by Interior Health.

Spokespeople for Interior Health and the B.C. Ambulance Service said this week their respective agencies’ tallies of Boonstock-related expenses are still in the works. The festival was staged on privately owned land within the Penticton Indian Reserve near the city’s airport.

 

Just Posted

Penticton Overdose Prevention Society co-founders Desiree Franz, Shane Surowski and Stephanie Lines have created the city’s first unsanctioned public overdose prevention site using an old wine-tour bus. The site began operations in June 2021. (Desiree Franz/Facebook)
Volunteers launch Penticton’s first public supervised injection site

2021 is on pace to be the deadliest year for overdoses in Penticton on record

Four golfers from Fairview Mountain Golf Club in Oliver will golf from sunrise to sunset to raise funds for ALS on June 29. (Submitted)
Golfing from sunrise to sunset in Oliver for ALS

Four golfers from Fairview Mountain Golf Club have taken up the challenge June 29

Jann Arden will embark on Canada-wide tour Spring 2022 with a stop in Penticton at the South Okanagan Events Centre on June 13. (Contributed)
Jann Arden coming to Penticton in 2022

The Jann Arden Live! tour has been rescheduled for 2022

A storm watch has been issued for the Okanagan, Kootenays and Columbia regions of B.C. (Calvin Dickson photo)
Another severe thunderstorm watch issued for the Okanagan

Conditions are favourable for thunderstorms that may produce strong wind gusts, hail and heavy rain

The South Okanagan Tim Hortons raised over $4,000 through the three day orange doughnut promotion with 100 per cent of proceeds going to to the Residential School Survivors Society. The owner of these locations matched the amount. (Monique Tamminga Western News)
South Okanagan Tim Hortons raises over $8K for residential school survivors

More than $4,000 worth of doughnuts were purchased over three days

Singer-songwriter Jann Arden is pictured with a draft horse. (Canadian Horse Defence Coalition)
Jann Arden backs petition to stop live horse export

June 14 is the International Day to End Live Export of Animals

Montreal Canadiens goaltender Carey Price (31) is scored on by Vegas Golden Knights defenseman Alec Martinez, not pictured, during the second period in Game 1 of an NHL hockey Stanley Cup semifinal playoff series Monday, June 14, 2021, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)
Habs fall 4-1 to Vegas Golden Knights in Game 1 of NHL semifinal series

Match was Montreal’s first game outside of Canada in 2021

(Dave Ogilvie photo)
One injured after being pinned by fallen forklift near Peachland

West Kelowna emergency crews responded to reports of a person stuck under a forklift

Kelowna-Lake Country MLA Norm Letnick, assistant deputy speaker at the B.C. legislature, presides over committee discussions. The legislature is completing its delayed spring session this week, with most MLAs participating by video conference. (Hansard TV)
B.C.’s daily COVID-19 infections dip below 100 over weekend

Only 68 new cases recorded Monday, four additional deaths

B.C. ambulance station in Revelstoke is expected to get a new system called the Scheduled On-Call (SOC) this fall. (Liam Harrap - Revelstoke Review)
B.C. ambulance changes could put Revelstoke residents at risk, warn local paramedics

Paramedics said to expect a substantial increase in ambulance response time starting this fall

This goose family went for a leisurely stroll down Vernon’s Main Street Saturday, April 25. (Dave Deshane photo)
Controversial Vernon goose cull won’t fly this year

Necessary permit procedures held up at a federal level

Mounties cover a burgundy truck with a tent at Buckerfields in West Kelowna on Monday, June 14. The RCMP is investigating after a woman’s body was found inside the truck. (Amandalina Letterio/Capital News)
West Kelowna RCMP investigating suspicious death after body found in truck

Police responded to a truck parked out front of a Main Street business where the body was found

The BC Ferries website went down for a short while Monday morning following a provincial announcement that recreational travel between health authorities can resume Tuesday. (Black Press Media file photo)
BC Ferries’ website crashes in wake of provincial reopening announcement

Website back up now, recreational travel between health regions to resume as of Tuesday

The Kamloops Indian Residential School is photographed using a drone in Kamloops, B.C., Monday, June, 14, 2021. The remains of 215 children were discovered buried near the former school earlier this month. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Communities grapple with what to do with former residential and day schools

Some tear them down as a tool to help healing, others repurpose them as tools for moving forward

Most Read