Fire consumes building in Keremeos

Faulty space heater suspected to be the cause of Wednesday morning blaze

Firefighters mop up after an early morning blaze gutted a residence on Second Avenue in Keremeos on Wednesday morning.

Firefighters mop up after an early morning blaze gutted a residence on Second Avenue in Keremeos on Wednesday morning.

Keremeos Volunteer Fire Department responded to an early morning fire Wednesday that gutted a building at 300 Second Ave. in Keremeos.

Firefighters responded to the scene just after 5 a.m. Wednesday. Smoke and flames were emanating from a side door as well as from in between the slats of the twin garage doors at the front of the residence.

Keremeos Fire Chief Jordy Bosscha said the fire proved to be difficult to fight.

“The interior of the building was fully involved when we arrived, and the discovery of a large propane tank that was already venting in the basement also caused a few anxious moments,” Bosscha said.

Firefighters were also unable to gain access to the upper floor of the residence because the  fire had completely burned the interior first floor.

Thirteen firefighters responded to the blaze, which was also attended by members of the Keremeos RCMP, and B.C. Ambulance Service. It is believed that the fire was started by a faulty space heater, which the owner said  had been operating in the basement. The building was unoccupied and up for sale at the time of the blaze.

 

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in your inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image