Microwave left on high causes fire

Microwave left on high causes fire

Penticton firefighters were called to residential fire on Wednesday morning

A minor fire started in a Penticton residence on Wednesday at 2:23 a.m. from a bean bag neck pillow being left in a microwave.

“Unfortunately it was left on high for a significant amount of time and it caught on fire. It went outside the microwave into the cabinets which also caught on fire. It was mostly smoke damage but a bit of fire damage to the wall,” said Penticton Fire Department deputy chief Chris Forster.

Emergency social services was called and a place to stay for a few nights was found for the resident so the damage can be taken care of.

Dumpster fire

Firefighters were called out to a dumpster fire on Tuesday at 11:35 p.m. at Skaha Lake Road and Kinney Avenue.

When they arrived a dumpster behind the Pass Motor Inn was fully involved. Forster said it was not close to any combustible material or other structures.

It was quickly extinguished and RCMP were called to investigate the matter.