Penticton dad pleased with jail term for son’s abuser

But victim's father still intends to carry on with lawsuit against Okanagan Skaha School District

Rene Burke

Rene Burke

A Penticton father said he plans to continue his lawsuit against the school district now that the man who sexually assaulted his teenage son has been sentenced.

“The one thing I am looking for is, ‘I’m sorry, we screwed up on our end,’ and I haven’t gotten that.

“I’ll let them get on the stand and they can justify it that way.

“They would rather hide behind court,” said the father of the victim, whose name is protected by a publication ban. “Not one of them (from the school district) have the decency to say I’m sorry to my son.”

Rene Mark Bernard Burke was sentenced on Thursday to 40 months for touching a young person for a sexual purpose and had an extra three months tacked on for two breaches.

It is alleged that in 2011 Burke took over custodial care of the teen in the Okanagan Skaha School District’s eyes, without the biological father’s knowledge or permission, by signing a transfer request to another school.

The father has filed action against the school district in small-claims court over the matter.

He said they will return in October for a pre-trial conference, with the trial slated to start in January.

“If the school didn’t sign him over I think I could have stopped four or five of those (sexual encounters),” said the father outside the Penticton courthouse.

Burke took the 16-year-old into his home providing him with alcohol, drugs and cigarettes, grooming the teen to do whatever the man said.

That included four to six sexual encounters, during which Burke instructed the teen that he needed the protein from the boy’s semen to treat a medical condition.

After being arrested and released under strict conditions to not contact the teen, Burke sent a text message to the boy within days and provided him with alcohol.

A victim impact statement provided to the court by the father describes the teen as having suicidal thoughts, no longer trusting anyone and hiding his pain behind alcohol and drugs.

Outside the courthouse the father said his son is starting to get better and “turn his life around.”

Burke, who pled guilty to the charges, previously stated through his counsel that he hopes the teen can re-establish a relationship with his family and move on from this.

Judge Meg Shaw said in her decision that Burke has a prior record which includes a conviction for gross indecency while in Sudbury, Ont., in the mid-80s and a conviction for sexual exploitation in 2007, also in Ontario, for which he served 18 months.

Burke will have 20.5 months left remaining behind bars followed by three years of probation.

Part of his conditions include no contact with his victim or the father, no contact with anyone under 16 and not to be alone with anyone under 16 except for incidental contact where a member of the public is present or while at work.

Burke also will be on the sex offender registry for 20 years.

 

Just Posted

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross. (Photo by Peter Versteege)
BC Liberal leadership candidate condemns ‘senseless violence’ of Okanagan church fires

Skeena MLA Ellis Ross says reconciliation isn’t about revenge for past tragedies

(Black Press file photo)
EDITORIAL: Curtailing attempts at scams

The true total of losses from all scams and frauds could be much higher than the figures on file

Penticton Indian Band Chief Greg Gabriel speaks to the Sacred Hearts Catholic Church burning down early Monday morning, June 21, 2021. (Monique Tamminga Western News)
Penticton band chief condemns suspicious burning of 2 Catholic churches

Both Catholic church fires are deemed suspicious, says RCMP

(Drive BC photo)
Vehicle incident closes Highway 3 east of Osoyoos

Drive BC says to avoid the area until the road is clear

Osoyoos chef Murray McDonald was ecstatic upon realizing he scored the $1 million guaranteed prize in the June 2, 2021 Lotto 6/49 draw. (Contributed)
Osoyoos chef ecstatic after bagging $1 million Lotto 6/49 win

Chef Murray McDonald was at home and ready to doze off to sleep when he got a text from his wife

The border crossing into the United States is seen during the COVID-19 pandemic in Lacolle, Que. on February 12, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
VIDEO: Border quarantine to soon lift for fully vaccinated Canadians

Eligible travellers must still take multiple COVID-19 tests

Chilliwack secondary school’s principal is apologizing after a quote equating graduation with the end of slavery in the U.S. was included in the 2020-2021 yearbook. (Screenshot from submitted SnapChat)
B.C. student’s yearbook quote equates grad to end of slavery; principal cites editing error

Black former student ‘disgusted’ as CSS principal apologizes for what is called an editing error

A coroner’s inquest will be taking place at the Capitol Theatre in Port Alberni for the next week. (ELENA RARDON / ALBERNI VALLEY NEWS)
Teen B.C. mom who died following police custody recalled as ‘friend to many’

Police sent Jocelyn George to hospital after intoxication had gone ‘beyond the realm’ of normal detox

FILE - In this Nov. 29, 2020, file photo, Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib leaves the field after an NFL football game against the Atlanta Falcons in Atlanta. Nassib on Monday, June 21, 2021, became the first active NFL player to come out as gay. Nassib announced the news on Instagram, saying he was not doing it for the attention but because “I just think that representation and visibility are so important.” (AP Photo/John Bazemore, File)
Nassib becomes first active NFL player to come out as gay

More than a dozen NFL players have come out as gay after their careers were over

Photograph By MICHAEL POTESTIO.KTW
Former Kamloops security gaurd wants job back after kicking incident caught on video

Rick Eldridge quit when a video surfaced of him kicking a man outside a facility for homeless

People participated in a walk to honour the 215 children found at a former Kamloops residential school, as well as residential school survivors. (Twila Amato/Black Press Media)
Kelowna marks National Indigenous Peoples’ Day with walk to remember Kamloops 215

“Let’s speak the truth and deal with the truth, and heal.”

COVID-19 daily cases reported to B.C. public health, seven-day moving average to June 17, 2021. (B.C. Centre for Disease Control)
B.C.’s COVID-19 infections drop to 90 on Sunday, 45 Monday

Pandemic spread dwindles as 77% of adults receive vaccine

A home on Cameo Drive sustained major damage due to an early morning fire Monday, June 21. (Roger Knox - Morning Star)
UPDATE: Fire sparked during Vernon home renovation

Heavy black smoke from Cameo Drive home, no one inside

The new Civic Memorial Park will incorporate pieces of the 80-year-old arena it replaces. (Artists rendering)
Pieces of Civic Arena reclaimed for new Vernon park

City centre space to incorporate wood from the historic arena

Most Read