Local officials are optimistic Premier Christy Clark

Penticton hospital expansion on track, official assures

Work on business case proceeding as planned, although cost projection for proposed tower is apparently too 'soft' for public to hear

Despite its disappearance from the headlines, a health official assured local politicians this week that the proposed expansion of Penticton Regional Hospital is still on track.

Lori Motluk, a senior administrator at PRH, on Thursday told the board of the Okanagan Similkameen Regional Hospital District that work on the project’s $2-million business case is proceeding as planned.

She said a local steering committee and three design companies have already had upwards of 100 meetings with hospital user groups, from doctors to maintenance workers, to help flesh out details of the proposed four-storey patient care tower.

According to Motluk, a lot has changed since a concept plan was completed last year, including new guidelines that mean the equipment sterilization department will now require around 1,000 square meters, about three times more than previously thought.

“That’s a big piece of space, so that’s really changed our flows, how staff’s going to work and what’s required,” Motluk said.

“There’s just a small example of what’s happened in the last 18 months and how it impacts the design.”

She said the business case is also being compiled with a 15-year horizon in mind so that it can be adapted for technological change, like a possible shift to self-registration for patients.

“That’s being used in many places in Canada, so we’re anticipating that perhaps by the time this building is built, that technology might be something we have here,” Motluk said.

The concept plan for the tower, which envisions surgical suites, outpatient clinics, an oncology centre and a five-storey parkade beside it, put the price at $300 million, but Motluk declined to provide an updated cost projection.

“Numbers are still pretty soft and it wouldn’t be appropriate for me to throw them out,” she said.

Motluk said the business case is on track to be completed in early spring 2014, when it will be sent to the B.C. government for a funding decision. Construction would start about 18 month later and is expected to take three years.

Summerland Mayor Janice Perrino, who chairs the hospital district board, acknowledged the business case will likely be submitted after the government’s budget is released in February. But she’s optimistic some money will be set aside for the project.

Premier Christy Clark said in March her government had “notionally” identified funds in its 10-year capital plan.

Based on a $300-million build, the hospital district has already committed to funding $120 million, while the hospital foundation has pledged another $20 million, leaving the province on the hook for the balance.

 

 

Just Posted

Back to work for Penticton businesses impacted by bomb threats

Multiple car dealerships were evacuated as the result of an international e-mail hoax

Okanagan College unlocks time capsule

Items placed in 1993 and kept in capsule in library opened at special ceremony

Consultations to play a critical role in shaping proposed national park reserve

Parks Canada welcomes all respectful comments on proposed South Okanagan-Similkameen National Park

Shootout loss for Canada West against Czech Republic

Team Canada West now looking forward to semifinal game

Penticton Legion begins process of relocating

Penticton Legion moving to new location

Tommy Chong says Canada took wrong approach to pot legalization

He also talked about the likelihood of another Cheech and Chong film

Mike Duffy can’t sue Senate over suspension without pay, judge rules

Duffy’s lawsuit sought more than $7.8 million from the upper chamber

Language on Sikh extremism in report will be reviewed, Goodale says

A public-safety ministry document indicats terrorist threats to Canada included a section on Sikh extremism for the first time

Questions raised over retailers who shame shoplifters with photos

Alleged theft from a sex shop in Newfoundland led to posts on social media

Media, robotics, Indigenous studies coming to B.C. Grade 12 classrooms in 2019-20

Provincial tests are also being changed for students in Grade 10 to 12, the Education Ministry said

Shuswap’s Roots & Blues adds world-class acts to roster

Popular Salmon Arm festival will encompass Afrobeat to bluegrass

VIDEO: Royals reveal the images on their Christmas cards

Prince William and his wife Kate are shown outside in casual clothes, their three young children in tow

ICBC to apply for 6.3% hike to basic insurance rates

Crown Corporation said it will be submitting its next basic rate application to the British Columbia Utilities Commission Friday

Stranded B.C. trucker writes final wishes before being rescued 3 days later

‘I was just praying someone would come along’

Most Read