Smoke billows from a home on Kalamalka Road in Coldstream as firefighters work to knock down the blaze Monday, Feb. 4. (Roger Knox/Morning Star)

‘These moments left us in awe’: Okanagan family grateful for support after fire destroys home

A family of five is indebted to the community for their outpouring of support

For the McMillans, their’s was a cataclysmic loss made bearable by the outpouring of community support.

Brittany McMillan, her husband Paul and their three children Paul, Marley and Jonah, lost their Coldstream home to a fire Feb. 4.

“A month ago, our family experienced the devastating loss of our family home and almost all of our belongings,” Brittany said. “The morning of Feb. 4 is one we would hope to never experience again. But, what happened afterward has made an even greater impact than the loss will ever have.”

The Coldstream Fire Department, assisted by Lavington crews, was called to the house in the 11600-block of Kalamalka Road shortly before 7 a.m. Feb. 4. One parent had left the house, while the other and all three children were inside when the fire ignited in the rear of the home. Everyone made it out safely, including the family cats.

“When we arrived, flames had already breached through the roof,” said Coldstream Fire Chief Dave Sturgeon at the time of the fire. “We weren’t sending crews in, it would be too dangerous with the roof collapsing so we did what we could with what we had.

Related: Fire destroys Coldstream home

Related: Coldstream family thankful

“The temperature and topography of the house created challenges, built on the side of the hill there. With the cold and the water from the fire hose, and obviously ice created challenges for us but we overcame it and got the fire out.”

Despite firefighter’s efforts and quick response, the home was a total loss.

However, Brittany said her family was able to pull through thanks to the tremendous support from the Okanagan community. People reached out to the family with donations and compassion.

“You immediately stepped up. You showed us so much love, compassion, and generosity. You let us live in your homes. You donated clothing and toys to our two-, six- and eight-year-olds. You made our family meals. You raised money so we can start to rebuild our lives. You sent beautiful cards, notes of encouragement, donated gift cards. You texted us to make sure we were doing okay. You gave us a hug. You helped us sort through donations and some salvaged boxes of burnt belongings. You connected with us to offer rentals that might work. You gave and gave and gave,” Brittany said.

“Each of these moments left us in awe – just the pure outpouring of love that our family has experienced – just so unexpected. We want to thank you so much. Thank you for your kindness. Thank you for your help. Thank you for the support.”

Beyond assistance from their family and friends, Brittany said they are thankful for the Coldstream Fire Department’s quick response and continued support, the Kidston Elementary and Coldstream Elementary communities and the Coldstream Christian Church.

Local businesses, including Combined Mechanical, Teach and Learn, Nature’s Fare, Bosley’s, Silver Star and Ski Dazzle, Andrew Sherets, Lincoln Lanes, The Training House, Image Studios, Little Plum Children’s Boutique, Kidston and Co., The Towne Theatre, The Room Collection, Soul Studio, and many others also pitched in for the McMillans.

“We are so grateful for all of you, for this amazing community we live in,” Brittany said. “You gave us so much hope. Thank you.”



parker.crook@vernonmorningstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Rock slide forces rural Keremeos residents to leave their homes

Witness describes boulders bigger than her car

BREAKING: Highway 3 near Keremeos closed due to rockslide

Highway 3 just west of Keremeos is closed as of 8:44 p.m.… Continue reading

Okanagan-Shuswap weather: goodbye sun, hello rain

Environement Canada forcasts clouds and rain for the weekend and beyond

Pieces of Penticton’s history up for auction at 4th Meridian

Collectors have the chance to own vintage ads, books, sketches and more

Penticton student looks to give back in wake of New Zealand terrorist attack

Hussain Sattar, a Grade 12 student at Princess Maggie of Muslim faith, discusses coming together

Protective human chain forms around Victoria mosque for Friday prayer

Islanders stand arm-in-arm to show support in aftermath of New Zealand shootings

2 fires in Victoria caused by cigarettes prompts warning from deputy fire chief

Two separate fires caused by cigarette butts were avoidable

Kelowna youngsters grab tournament win in U.S.

The Kelowna Storm won the under-8 Shamrock Showdown Hockey Tournament in Spokane

Wildlife activists slam B.C. business, clubs for ‘wolf-whacking’ contests

Chilcotin Guns, Creston Valley Rod and Gun Club and West Kootenay Outdoorsmen Club under fire

UPDATE: Destructive blaze in West Kelowna

A unit of a condo complex is on fire in West Kelowna

‘Families torn apart:’ Truck driver in fatal Broncos crash gets 8-year sentence

Judge Inez Cardinal told court in Melfort, Sask., that Sidhu’s remorse and guilty plea were mitigating factors

Pet Planet picks up Okanagan’s cannabis for pets

True Leaf Medicine International expands retail distribution to 3,500 stores worldwide

AquaVan comes to Okanagan Science Centre

200-litre mobile touch tank allows you to get up-close with marine invertebrates

Army of support behind Black Press saleswoman battling cancer

GoFundMe helps empower Sue Folliott’s fight

Most Read