Skip to content

Terriers take bite out of Vees in Western Canada Cup

The Penticton Vees are now 2-1 following loss to Portage in WCC
PENTICTON VEES' Matthew Serratore wheels through the neutral zone during their third game of the Western Canada Cup in Fort McMurray Tuesday afternoon against the Portage Terriers. Serratore scored a shorthanded goal in a 3-2 Vees loss.

The Penticton Vees are now 2-1 in the Western Canada Cup following a 3-2 loss to the Portage Terriers.

The top ranked team in the Canadian Junior Hockey League got offence from its top line as Brad Bowles set up Zack Waldvogel who beat Hunter Miska at 9:31 in the first period. They were at it again as Bowles buried a shot set up by his brother Shawn and Waldvogel. At 8:14 of the first period, the Terriers were given a penalty shot when Miles Gendron took down Carson Perreaux. Miska made the save. The Vees ended up without Gedron for the rest of the period as his mouth was cut by Perreaux's skate. He returned in the second period after getting stitched up.

In the second period, the Vees cut into the lead on a shorthanded goal by Matthew Serratore at 3:08. It was the lone goal of the period and both teams fired 11 shots on goal.

At 12:26 of the third, the Terriers regained their two-goal lead on a goal by Dane Shioler, assisted by Jordyn Boyd and Tyler Jeanson. It didn't take long for the Vees to get back to within a goal as 12 seconds later, Cam Amantea scored his first of the tournament after a clearing attempt hit a stick then off of him and past Zac Robidoux. The Vees pressed late and watched as Gabe Bast's wrist shot hit the post behind the Terriers goal on his blocker side. Robidoux made 25 saves for the win while Miska finished with 34 saves.

The Vees return to action Wednesday night at 6:30 p.m. when they host the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League champs, the Melfort Mustangs. The Mustangs are 1-1 entering the game. Depending on their result against the Mustangs, the Vees are still positioned well to play in the first versus second-place game Saturday at 7:30 p.m. The Spruce Grove Saints have been eliminated from playing on the weekend as they are 0-3 going into their final game.


Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in your inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.

Don't have an account? Click here to sign up